Associate Dean, Scott College of Business
Business Building Coordinator
Professor of Management Information Systems
CB 517 (moving to Federal Hall 132 August 2012)
Indiana State University
Terre Haute, IN 47809
(812) 237-3606 firstname.lastname@example.org
(812) 237-4122 (fax)
I'm associate dean and professor in the Management, Information Systems, and Business Education Department at Indiana State University. I joined the ISU faculty in 1979 after earning a PhD in Operations Management from Purdue University and serving 3 years at the University of Virginia. I teach in the area of management information systems, primarily database management, networking, and telecommunications. I enjoy teaching the freshman business seminar courses.
At ISU I have been actively involved in computing committees on campus. I chaired the Information Technology Advisory Committee, and have been a member of the former Academic Computing Advisory Committee, the campus Web Advisory Committee, and the MicroLabs Committee. I represent the College as chair of the Associate Deans Council, the Foundational Studies Council, and the Curriculum and Academic Affairs Committee. I also serve as a Fellow in the Center for Teaching and Learning. In the College of Business my committee pursuits include the AACSB Reaffirmation Task Force, Technology Advisory Committee, and the Instruction/Teaching/Learning Task Force. I am responsible for the undergraduate program in the Scott College.
I enjoy writing textbooks in the MIS/CIS area. Since 1990 I have written more than twenty college textbooks about WordPerfect, Lotus 1-2-3, dBASE, Microsoft Access, the Internet, and Electronic Commerce. Here are links to some of my publications:
2011 Spring Teaching Schedule
BUS 180 Business Information Tools MW 2:00
2011 Fall Teaching Schedule
BUS 180 Business Information Tools MW 2:00 plus Internet students
2012 Spring Teaching Schedule
BUS 180 Business Information Tools
2012 Fall teaching Schedule
MIS 430 Data Communications and Networking TR 12:30-2:00
I am married to Connie McLaren, another professor in the Scott College of Business. We have two children. Anne is a reliability engineer at the Cummins Corporation, and graduated with a a PhD from Purdue University in industrial engineering. Cathy is a registered pharmacist at CVS after receiving her Purdue pharmacy degree, and mother our our two small grandchildren, Grant VanNahmen and Claire VanNahmen. We have enjoyed camping as a family and have traveled all over the US and Canada in our RV. I enjoy singing with our church choir and am a member of the ISU Masterworks Chorale and the High Ground Chorale, a men's a capella singing group. I am a board member of the Terre Haute Symphony Orchestra, www.thso.org, and maintain its web site. I was formerly co-chair of the ISU campus United Way campaign and still maintain its web site www.indstate.edu/unitedway.
I have been an elder and trustee in Central Presbyterian Church and now serve as church treasurer. I served as co-coordinator for the church capital campaign. I occasionally teach workshops on various technology topics, using the Internet and Microsoft Access. I also serve as a United Way volunteer, co-chairing a fund distribution panel.
My hobby is photography - I especially enjoy capturing nature and landscape images with my Nikon cameras. For a slide show, see http://misnt.indstate.edu/bjm/dogwoodsinapril.pdf. A slide show of our best of Italy pictures 2010 is found at http://themclarens.smugmug.com/photos/swfpopup.mg?AlbumID=13156641&AlbumKey=9VLrF. A slide show of our best Paris 2011 trip pictures is found at http://themclarens.smugmug.com/photos/swfpopup.mg?AlbumID=16872902&AlbumKey=Jm2Q9H .
· "Developing a University Financial Trading Room: A Case History", 2010, Advances in Business Research, 1 (1), pp. 103-113Completed 2/E textbook about electronic commerce with Constance McLaren, Course Technology Publishing
· Completed Mastering and Using Microsoft Office 2002, Course Technology
· Completed several editions of Understanding and Using the Internet, South-Western Publishing
· Completed Understanding and Using Access 97 and Understanding and Using MS Office 97, South-Western Publishing
· Scott College of Business liaison to Schmidt Architects for Federal Hall building project. Slide show of photos http://www.smugmug.com/photos/swfpopup.mg?AlbumID=23373729&AlbumKey=HmFNds
· Developing a Network Curriculum paper (DSI '97)
· Completed third edition of Understanding & Using the Internet, South-Western Publishing
· Developed a networking management lab within the School of Business.
· "About the Internet" column appearing monthly in the Terre Haute Journal of Business since 1996.
· Chaired School of Business Instruction, Teaching and Learning Task Force. Link to report.
· Completed faculty internship in network services at State Farm Insurance Company headquarters, Bloomington IL, 1998